Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupidity of design. Rant Warning!

On Mon, 15 May 2017 10:08:02 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 15 May 2017 05:12:03 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

I presented this badly. what I mean to say is that with lots of things I buy, I encounter incredibly stupid design decisions. Maybe it makes the product look better, or seem better at first glance, but once you use the product it is quickly obvious that functionality was not the priority.

**** happens. So pay more attention to what you are buying.

The problem is that more and more sets of things are poorly designed,
and others mimic the first mfgr, so the only thing available is a
badly put-together set. Buying extra sockets to fill the set is a
given nowadays.

I bought some Chiwanese extension cord ends from a US source recently
and was seriously disappointed. The connectors were neither marked nor
color coded (unsafe for the normal DIYer), and one of the screws
stripped out as I tightened the shell together evenly around the plug.
Amazon gave my money back.
The last sets were Chiwanese from HF and worked great.

The knockout punch set from HF was taken back immediately. I think
someone made the threads with oversized taps and undersized dies, so
the fit was close enough to be classified as a sink drain. A 1/4"
drive would have stripped it. I checked 1 or 2 more there at the
store and they were all made that way, so I chose not to accept a
replacement.

I've seen cheap brooms collapse at the first sign of heavy sweeping.
The handle was apparently made of 29ga steel.

And on and on...

--
In today’s academia and mainstream media,
we’re all guilty of hate until proven leftist.

--Robert Knight, senior fellow, American Civil Rights Union