Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Solar Roof Read reply Solar is joke

Not if it's a residential solar system, which is what we are
talking about here and it complies with the NEC. NEC limits
the maximum voltage to 600V. And you claim to be installing
these?

When this setup was installed, according to a true RMS FLUKE
meter, it was generating over a thousand volts, DC. granted,
that's with both 'strings' and no load present on either of them.

Well then it's in violation of the NEC.

No, it's not. It's a two string array. I was measuring the combined
voltage from both strings. I did say BOTH strings and no load
present on either of them, Didn't I. Why, yes, Yes I did...

Reading comprehension, right?

No, BS comprehension. Who the hell cares what the combined voltage
of a solar array is if it's not INSTALLED THAT WAY? That's like me
saying I have 1200V in my house, because I can add the voltage drops
across ten 120V loads.

I'm not an electrician. I didn't consult the NEC. Regulations
can sometimes sound odd to address a particular situation. On the
few occasions I've consulted the building inspector, his opinions
were different, more lax, than my interpretation of the words written
in the NEC.

A few comments:
In your house, you have 120V x 1.4 x 2 P-P. But the center of that
is near ground. You can never touch more than 120V x 1.4 peak volts
relative to ground. This doesn't prevent you sticking both fingers
into a 240V socket that runs your dryer...don't do that. Still just
as dead, but you never experienced anything greater than ~170 V peak
relative to ground.

Dunno how the code is interpreted, but, if you have two 600V panels
connected in series inside your box, you have 1200V outside
your box and on the panels. You might be able to skirt this like
inside your house. Ground the center point of the 1200V where the
panels connect together. Then
you'll never have more than 600V to ground anywhere on the wiring.

You obviously have no idea about what I wrote about. Yet, you
continue, and call me the troll? Laughable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_engineering

Cripes.. You could be almost anything, such a wide brush...

So, I will ask for my own clarification.. What do you specialize
in?

Don't wanna tell me? Are you still in college to become an electrical
engineer or something?

Still waiting for those examples of grid tied solar that powers
the house with the grid down and no batteries.

I already answered that for you. While it wasn't using batteries, it
was using something which emulated a small bank, as long as the PV
arrays were up and going.

There is no magic. You can't get more instantaneous power out of the
emulator than you can get out of the panels WITHOUT STORAGE of some kind.
Capacitors are a form of storage. The energy stored in a cap is
proportional
to the square of the voltage. You can store 400x the energy in a cap
at 1000V than you can at 48V. Problem is that high voltage capacitor
banks big enough to be useful are expensive...probably more expensive
than a 48V battery.
You could make an argument that a 1200V panel will put out 48V
at lower insolation than a 600V panel. But, at low currents available,
it won't do you much good. And component expenses for the higher voltage
and increased losses will probably exceed any gains.

I've had many discussions over the years with people who took a concept
they didn't fully understand, extrapolated it into a region where it
didn't apply and believed they'd invented something.
In every case, they hadn't invented a new branch of physics. They were
just plain wrong. They'd neglected something very important and
their system didn't do what they thought.

Under conditions of high insolation, you certainly can run your house
without a grid or storage, until the peak load exceeds the currently
available power. Then it's over in an instant. Let me rephrase...
The peaceful consumption of energy is over in an instant.
The thrashing of the voltage coming out of your 120VAC socket can
continue until the sun goes down or something catches fire.

You can't build a practical solar house that most people would accept
without the grid or local storage or some other energy source, like diesel
or natural gas or pumped water or...
Energy out of a system can never exceed the energy in.
Without storage, instantaneous power out can not exceed
power in. Solar is ill-suited to applications without storage
or replacement (the grid).

Maybe I missed that part. What exactly "emulates" a small battery bank?
Seems logical that one would just use a small battery bank, which by
the way is exactly what the install instructions call for. Do you always
have to reinvent the wheel?

If it was possible, all the solar install companies would be
hawking it.

Already discussed that too. Perhaps you should consider switching
over to a real usenet client so you can keep better track of replies?

Still waiting for the examples of all the installs, links to all the
app notes from eqpt suppliers on how you can have grid tied solar
and power the house with the grid down and no batteries.

far, you can't produce one. And I provided you the install manual
for the hybrid inveerter that you cited, where it only shows
installs with a battery bank and where it specifically says it
must be used with a battery bank.

OR! A device which can use the arrays to emulate a battery bank.
Are you sure you're an electrical engineer?

Are you sure you know WTF you're talking about? You simply claimed
that he had a system that was grid tied, that powered the house without
a battery bank when the grid is down. Only now are you bringing up
this "emulation" thing. Nuff said. And if this "emulation" thing is
true, why emulate a small battery bank instead of just buying one?

I thought I was going to
be able to learn something useful from you, but, so far, I've learned
nothing new from you. I'm not impressed.

Some people are incapable of being educated. Still, I've provided you
with a lot info here, like the fact that you can't find examples of
what you claim, which is eqpt companies or solar companies hawking
grid tied solar that powers the house when the grid is down, without
batteries. Ever hear of clouds? I also educated you on the fact that
1000V in residential solar systems, which you claim too, is a violation
of NEC. Now of course you claim it's not actually wired that way,
so then of course it's just a BS number.