#38   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default New Shed

On Tue, 16 May 2017 11:30:41 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 15 May 2017 21:43:22 -0700 (PDT), Kate
wrote:

Everyone,

A million thanks for all of your help. It is very much appreciated. Just an update on my project.

I called about whether or not I need a permit to build an 8 x 8' shed in an area of my back yard. I was told no, but that someone would have to come out to inspect the setbacks. A nice guy came out, and this size shed is out of the question as I have to be 5 feet away from my neighbor's fence. My back yard is curved, so if the inspector would have gone around the corner, he would have seen that my neighbor's shed is against my property line, and in fact, the overhang of his shed is on my property. I have known this, but it does not bother me. The inspector said this has something to with the fire trucks. I also have a large shed, built before I bought this home, and it is only 3-1/2 feet from this neighbor's fence. Sure hope I don't have to move it some day. What a headache.

My plan is to hire a carpenter and build a 6 x 7’ shed. I just want it to store an extra lawnmower so I don't have to wheel it from the front yard to the back yard every time I mow. It just makes life easier for me. It will also be used to store patio cushions, etc. during the winter.

I have not decided what to do with the old conduit/electical from the hot tub that was removed, but got great ideas from all of you.

I have not talked to the guy who will build this small shed for me yet, but does a 7’ pointed roof sound around right? I want to be able to stand up in it, and yet
make the shed looked balanced.

Again, thanks!

Kate

I'd ask the code/permit office if building a 'permanent' shed would
change you property taxes. Depends on where you live. As one poster
stated, having a shed on skids would be easy to move if necessary.

Same image examples: https://tinyurl.com/lgo6meo

Mine's not on skids and would be a real bugger to move, but it has no
foundation.