Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Solar Roof Read reply Solar is joke

trader_4
Tue, 16
May 2017 19:28:13 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 6:28:28 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
mike news May 2017 05:32:44 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Or, am I confused on what electrical engineers actually do?
That *IS* possible, since i'm not one.

For a given insolation, a PV panel looks more like a current
source than a voltage source.

Depending on how your PV array is wired, it can be generating
1000+ volts,

Not if it's a residential solar system, which is what we are
talking about here and it complies with the NEC. NEC limits the
maximum voltage to 600V. And you claim to be installing these?

I'll clarify this for you, since you seem to be ignoring things, and,
I suspect you're doing so intentionally at this point. The PV array
consists of TWO strings. When tested together, in series, they
generate a little over 1000+ volts, DC, yes, they most certainly do.
The voltage drops by half and doubles the amperage inside the
combiner box on the lines which feed the inverter (parallel)

So, it's well within NEC specifications. The other line that comes
out of the combiner box keeps them in series to feed my 'modbox'.
It's not concerned with high amperage output, it needs the higher
voltage, instead. It all passed electrical inspection too. We didn't
pull any 'hide the ****' until the inspector leaves and continue
wiring.

I hope that clears things up.

The install manual for the hybrid inverter you referenced cleared
it up. It shows no examples of using it without a battery bank.
And the install instructions specifically say it must be used with
a battery bank.

Still waiting for examples of all the solar install companies
hawking the capability to power the house during the day with a
grid tied system without a battery bank. Still waiting for an app
note from one of the eqpt companies that shows using their gear to
power houses without the grid or a battery bank.

Building a PV system with neither local storage nor grid tie
is a fool's errand.

It depends on what you need/want to use it for...

Show us the case studies. And besides, the whole thread was about
what is generally being done, not some fringe users.