Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Solar Roof Read reply Solar is joke

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 6:28:28 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
mike news May 2017 05:32:44 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Or, am I confused on what electrical engineers actually do? That
*IS* possible, since i'm not one.

For a given insolation, a PV panel looks more like a current
source than a voltage source.

Depending on how your PV array is wired, it can be generating 1000+
volts,

Not if it's a residential solar system, which is what we are talking
about here and it complies with the NEC. NEC limits the maximum
voltage to 600V. And you claim to be installing these?

I hope that clears things up.

The install manual for the hybrid inverter you referenced cleared it up.
It shows no examples of using it without a battery bank. And the install
instructions specifically say it must be used with a battery bank.

Still waiting for examples of all the solar install companies hawking
the capability to power the house during the day with a grid tied
system without a battery bank. Still waiting for an app note from
one of the eqpt companies that shows using their gear to power houses
without the grid or a battery bank.

Building a PV system with neither local storage nor grid tie
is a fool's errand.

It depends on what you need/want to use it for...

Show us the case studies. And besides, the whole thread was about
what is generally being done, not some fringe users.