Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Easy-Post fence post spike

In message , Adam Funk
writes
On 2017-05-13, Tim Lamb wrote:

How is it the timber industry has managed to get away with marketing the
size the wood came from rather than what is actually on the shelf?

I thought that was more of an issue in the USA, where "2 by 4" really
includes a fairly wide kerf. Most of the timber I buy in the UK seems
to be "actual size".

I suppose a lot depends on where timber is purchased. Last time I
bought fence posts, they came from a local supplier who offered various
sizes. As far as I could see, they used one machine, which was adjusted
as needed to produce batches of, say, 4x4, 3x2, 4x2 or whatever. I
bought a number of posts, all supposedly the same size, but they were
not exactly the same. I could only conclude that they came from
different batches, and the initial setting up was not always to the same
exact dimensions. The posts were fine, but some dropped straight into
the met post, and some needed a little help with a large hammer.
Thinking about it, I didn't check the met posts, which may have differed
very slightly too.

I am building something at the moment, using lengths of PAR 2x1 rescued
from a pile in the shed. They are not all absolutely identical. Very
close, but a joint created using two lengths not cut from the same
length can create a very slight lip. Hardly enough to see really, but
enough to feel. Thinking again, I suppose some could be older, and have
swollen very slightly.

I guess so. As it happens, I bought the posts & metal bits in two
separate trips to the same place on the same day.

"Weren't you here this morning?"

"Yes, I fixed that post and discovered the next one needed replacing."