Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Supascrews and Twinqwik screws

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , Bob Minchin
writes

With a bit more of a glance you can also tell the difference between Philips and
pozidrive bits.

Thanks all. Yes, I can easily tell the difference when actually looking at the screws,
but was hoping to buy supplies online, where seeing the difference is not so easy. We
were supposed to be going to B&Q today, but that has been cancelled (don't ask), and
given that it is a 90+ mile round trip, I don't get there very often.

Supascrews were introduced by GKN at least 30 years ago (1980ish?), and I bought a
fairly substantial supply, from 6 x 1/2 to 12 x 4, and have been using them ever since.
GKN subsequently withdrew from that market. Back then, most ordinary wood screws were
slot headed, not cross.

My question is not about the difference between Philips and Pozi, or the different
sizes, but whether the GKN cross head is still standard,

Most woodscrews on sale nowadays are pozidrive. In order to buy and
use woodscrews in the future, you'll need to buy a pozidrive screwdriver.
You'll most likely only need a number 2 as this fits all screw sizes
up to 10 (4.5mm). No 1 fits mainly screws on electrical fittings etc while
no 3 fits very large woodscrews or mainly pozi heads on things like
M6 machine screws.

A number 2 pozi screwdriver on its own will cost a few quid at most.

(This assumes you have no interest in powered screwdrivers
which all come with bits which are otherwise readily available
for a few quid)

If you like, you can spend three times as much for a set including
a no 3 which most likely you'll never use. Possibly in a nice
case or wallet which simply take up space.

Armed with your number 2 pozi driver you can see if this fits the
GKN screws.

Other than that, quite honestly the only reason I can think of why
anyone would insist on matching screws bought 30 years ago was

a) if these screws were anodised a particular colour i.e as in
Turbogold and it was necessary to match these when repairing
a 30 year old item

b) it was a for a restoration job which had to be authentic
in every respect - i.e usung original materials.

Given possible differences in colour it might not be possible
to mix the GKN's with other screw where these will visible.

However given the prices of screws in places like Toolstatio
nowadays, your foresight in stocking up thirty years ago at what
seems like bargain prices at the time, might with hindsight have
been rendered uneccessary.

This is far from uncommon as lots of independent DIY shops
were closing up around 30 years ago and selling off stock
on the cheap.

However nowadays by comparison the likes of Toolstation in particular
are almost giving the same stuff away.

michael adams