Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - relating to climate change, Dilbert for Sunday May 14

people worried about climate change should be planting more trees instead of starting new taxes

You might want to read this article from UCSB:

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=826

Conclusion:

"When the tree dies, it rots as decomposers, like bacteria, fungi,and
insects eat away at it. Those decomposers gradually release almost all
of the tree's stored carbon back into the atmosphere as CO2. Only a
very small portion of the carbon in the tree ends up staying in the
soil or washing out to sea without changing back into CO2. "

Trees are great, but they are not going to solve the problem of
artificial CO2 emissions.

no CO2 sink is permanent

CO2 goes around in a cycle just like the H2O cycle

if you plant more trees, more CO2 will be tied up in the trees while they are growing. you replace the trees as they die or are cut down.
point is we should be increasing the area of foliage rather than reducing it

planting trees is a non controversial step we can all agree on and act on, compared to endless arguing about taxes.