Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupidity of design. Rant Warning!

On Mon, 15 May 2017 18:34:45 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
Normal Person wrote in
:

On the slimmest chance there might be a newb reading, do not fall
for
the _one must have "good"/expensive tools mantra_.[ ...] The
anti-cheap tool thing is more
of an ideology than a practicality. Buying what you can afford, and
using it, is a better mantra.

Cheap tools are not necessarily bad, and expensive tools are not
necessarily good. My
approach is to buy the highest quality tools that I can afford.

My approach is good tools in the shop and assorted cheap ones from
bargain bins and second-hand stores in the vehicles and outdoor sheds.
If I luck onto a good used one the others are demoted. The lowest rank
is lawn equipment tools that might be left on the ground.

I use the vehicle kits for normal maintenance to be sure they have
what's needed, and any failures will be in the driveway.
-jsw

As a traveling service tech who had about $15k worth of tools stolen
from his truck one night...I carry a lot of the better "cheap tools".
HF "Professional", SK from yard sales and Craftsman for special
stuff. I have a shop stuffed full of Proto, Bonnie, SK, the odd
Snap-on and Williams, tools that I know wont wander off when Im not
looking.

I do have a 3/8 swivel head Snap-on ratchet in the truck, but its
there simply until I find a Snap-On truck and can have it rebuilt..as
the ratchet mechanism is shot. Oh..and a Snap-On ratcheting 1/4" nut
driver handle that the ratchet mechanism is also shot. Pretty hard to
put a snipe on that one...chuckle..and its toast. Oddly
enough...Snap-on trucks are hard to find. Ive been looking for one for
over a year. Matco, Cornwell, even Mac...occasionally....but no
Snap-On.

I do have a few sets of 3/4 and 1" drive sockets and ratchets..but
they are put in and removed regularly, as they are fairly expensive to
replace and Id hate to lose them. Same with the air tools to drive
them. Chicago Pneumatics, I/R and the like.

They never ride in the truck for weeks at a time.

---