Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupidity of design. Rant Warning!

On Mon, 15 May 2017 15:49:06 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 15 May 2017 10:27:40 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 15 May 2017 11:37:54 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 15 May 2017 04:27:58 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wysAAO...VN/s-l1600.jpg

I am in a metric country, but I'm sure the principal applies in North America as well.

This is a very common socket kit here. There are many brands, many manufacturers, all are basically the same. The box is very useful, except for one incredible annoyance. The sockets go in 1mm increments from maybe 4 or 5 up to 14mm. No one has ever used the 14mm socket, ever. Why wouldn't they leave it off, and use a 15mm socket in that last place instead?

And, why don't other people ask a questions like this?
Because there are several different metric "standards" and if you
work on Japanese stuff you WILL use the 14, and a 15 would be a total
waste.On a Chevy and most weiner wagons, you will never use a 14. Same
goes for 11 vs 10, Japs use 10, EVERYWHERE. GM and Wiener wagons use
11.
A lot of bikes use 15.

As a side note, just to confuse the situation....Im still looking for
a 3/8 drive set of Wentworth sockets, tooth count not important.

You meat WHITWORTH.

Absolutely correct. No idea where that came from. Id been napping at
the keyboard after a big Sunday dinner....blink blink. Now its 4:45
AM...so I must have slept pretty good for about 10 hrs or so, and its
time to load my gear and go back to So Cal. I hate it when that
happens.

There are quite a few places they are available - Koken (out of
Japan) Eurotech, ToolZone,Sealey, lots of others.

I'd buy Kokens if I was in the market - available at
Lowbrowcustoms.com, Amazon (They also have Sealey),E-Bay has lots too.
They don't usually come cheap though - - -

So Kokens are good? Thanks! Ive managed to get a fair number of
spanners and box end wrenches and even taps and dies tucked away,
waiting for me to finish the old girl, but I really need sockets.

Thanks!

Gunner, British motorcycle owner Royal Enfield Super Meteor, (my BMW
has all the proper metric tools..of course.) and the Triumph 650 is
actually ASA..a 1972..but the Belgian sidecar is metric..so I carry 2
sets there)

---