Posted to alt.home.repair

Default storing paint

On Mon, 15 May 2017 19:20:10 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/14/2017 01:30 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 14 May 2017 09:03:45 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/14/2017 07:25 AM,
wrote:
How can I store latex paint for 1 year + without it going bad?

If it's sealed properly it will last for many years.

I store mine in a cool basement and even ten years later it's good.

Needs to be stirred well of course.

I found out the hard way that it one stores it for longer, the bottom of
the can will rust out. I notice some cans have a plastic bottom though.

I buy the polymer lined cans from my local paint store to save
leftovers (buy liter or quart cans to save leftovers from gallons -
pints for smaller amounts.)

I had a can down there for a damn long time and did not realize the
bottom had a small leak in it until I got it halfway up the stairs.

The very act of lifting it must have caused it to let loose.

I was going to say that fortunately it was latex paint and I got 99% of
it cleaned up...but had it been oil paint the bottom would not have
rusted out

Don't count on it. Ifleft on a concrete cloor, condensation CAN rust
the bottom of the can from the outside in. Oil pansrust through even
when full of oil.