Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Stupidity of design. Rant Warning!

On 15/05/17 12:27, robobass wrote:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wysAAO...VN/s-l1600.jpg

I am in a metric country, but I'm sure the principal applies in North America as well.

This is a very common socket kit here. There are many brands, many manufacturers, all are basically the same. The box is very useful, except for one incredible annoyance. The sockets go in 1mm increments from maybe 4 or 5 up to 14mm. No one has ever used the 14mm socket, ever. Why wouldn't they leave it off, and use a 15mm socket in that last place instead?

And, why don't other people ask a questions like this?

I remember some years ago a mate mentioned that a German expression
referring to a useless thing was calling it a 17mm spanner, he is a
fluent German and French speaker so I found that odd as my German Metabo
angle grinder uses a 17mm spanner for the spindle which seems to be the
standard for European angle grinders with a M14 spindle thread.