Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

YIKES!

Acetone is explosive as a vapor from 2.5% to 12.5%.
Meaning, essentially, that Acetone is highly volatile.
Mineral Spirits from 0.7% to 7%.
Not quite so volatile but a much lower explosive limit.

They are solvents. Solvents, eventually, evaporate 100%.

Leaving only the admixtures behind. And, in some cases, taking the smaller fractions of those admixtures with them. Mono-molecular admixtures will not be affected anywhere near as much as multi-fraction mixtures. Meaning that one could get pretty quickly to that sticky sludge via these means.

I use naptha at 95/5% mix with Oleic acid for de-oxidizing. I put it on a 1-ounce glass eye-dropper bottle with a neoprene bulb, filling about half the bottle. I have a compressed-air aerosol bottle that I use (rarely) with flammable mixes, but 100% outside. If my goal was to deliver ATF to some tiny place, I would use capillary tubes. Not a spray with volatiles, not anything with volatiles.

https://www.testsymptomsathome.com/P...T58aAoCB8P8HAQ

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA