Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupidity of design. Rant Warning!

On Mon, 15 May 2017 13:06:52 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 5/15/2017 10:23 AM, robobass wrote:
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 3:39:50 PM UTC+2, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/15/2017 7:59 AM, robobass wrote:
"14mm might be too big for the amount of torque that 1/4" can handle"
If this is true, you are certainly working on different kinds of things than me.

No **** Sherlock . I work on things like cars , motorcycles , and
other machinery as needed . I have the correct tools for most jobs , as
in 1/4" , 3/8" , and 1/2" drive socket sets - both deep and regular ,
and none of them are cheap ass Chinese pseudo-steel . I also have a
pretty well-equipped machine shop , so those tools I don't have and need
can often be made right here at home .

--

Snag

I am not trying to get anyone's fur up here. I guess I should have posted in a different forum. I ask again, 1: Do you really use a 14mm socket? Do you actually encounter 14mm hex heads? Give me one example. If you are substituting it for a 9/16" then you should say so. That is not something which would come up in metric countries, and does not apply to my premise. Also to do so would be slovenly. Like using a Phillips tip to drive a Pozi screw. Real slop. If I did things like that, I wouldn't confess it on a public forum.

Oh Holy one ... are you saying you NEVER EVER used a screwdriver to -
for instance - pry the lid off a paint can ??
As far as an example , the oil drain plug on my '99 Toyota 4Runner is
14 mm .

2. Where you need more torque for a 15mm head than you can get from a 1/4 drive ratchet? I drive old Alfa-Romeos and Saabs, so please don't try to tell me rust and frozen bolt stories. My cheap 1/4 drive kit is probably made in China, but it is still completely intact after many years. I naturally don't use it for serious suspension or exhaust work, but it gets almost all car and bike work done.

Head bolts and suspension components both use some 15mm bolts . I'd
use a 1/4" drive on neither .

The whole point I was making is that the sellers don't consider the customer's needs. I guess I am alone, though. No one else seems to give a ****.

No , you're not alone . And sellers MUST consider buyer's needs/wants
. If they ain't buyin' there's no sense in trying to sell a particular
item . Oh , and this is appropriate for this forum - and my fur ain't up
, I'm just expressing my opinion ...

--

Snag

It's nobody elses fault but his own that he bought a JIS socket set to
work on DIN standard or ISO/ANSI standard vehicles.