Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ohger1s@gmail.com is offline

Default WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 11:03:36 AM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:

As per Machinist's Workshop Magazine March/April (and May/June?) 2007:

No lube 516 lbs
WD-40 238 lbs
PB-Blaster 214 lbs
Liquid Wrench 127 lbs
Kano Kroll 106 lbs
ATF-Acetone 50:50 mix 53 lbs (yes, Fifty-Three pounds)

I read that article and have seen it quoted many times. A few years ago I mixed up some in a small pinpoint squeeze bottle and found that ATF doesn't really mix with acetone, at least the ATF I used (don't remember if it was Dextron, Mercon, or something else). I did not use the mixture and certainly did no instrumented tests but it seems that getting them into a suspension is problematic. Shaking furiously to mix them seemed to make a pink goo.

I use the Kroil the day before I wrench anything on my older trucks.