Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

On 2017/05/02 12:39 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , John
Robertson writes
On 2017/05/01 1:24 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/1/17 3:08 PM, Foxs Mercantile wrote:
On 5/1/2017 12:00 PM, Retired wrote:
According to WD-40's "List of 2000+ Uses" at
https://wd40.com/files/pdf/wd_40_200...d_jan_2017.pdf
"€¢ Cleans gunk from electrical contacts" is one of them

And most of the 2000 ideas are marketing hype.

You're a regular party-pooper!

Having cleaned the residue (glue like substance) of WD-40 from many an
electrical unit I would say that it's only practical use is for
preventing rust on tools.

Everything else is hype.

There are FAR better solvents out there than WD-40...and cheaper!

Cheaper than the old can you've had in the tool-shed for the last 20
years, but which has been your saviour on the odd occasion when you've
suddenly needed a general-purpose lubricant / switch cleaner / rusty nut
freer / corrosion inhibitor ?

ATF and acetone are better at loosening rusted nuts that WD-40 will ever be.

As per Machinist's Workshop Magazine March/April (and May/June?) 2007:

No lube 516 lbs
WD-40 238 lbs
PB-Blaster 214 lbs
Liquid Wrench 127 lbs
Kano Kroll 106 lbs
ATF-Acetone 50:50 mix 53 lbs (yes, Fifty-Three pounds)

However I did find that an Army/Navy/Air Force repair manual for
oscilloscope 0S-261/U (NSN 6625-00-127-0079)(Techtronics 475) says:

"There are three recommended switch lubricants. They are Silicone
Versilube (General Electric Co.), Rykon R (Standard Oil),
and WD-40 (Rocket Chemical Co.)."

Which I find surprising based on my experience (seized up shafts),
however note that this is a SWITCH lubricant, not a potentiometer. In
the manual they specifically state that you don't lubricate sealed pots.

So, I will revise my comments accordingly, it would appear that WD-40 is
OK for switch contacts - at least in the mid-70s. Use sparingly!

Anyone here know anyone at Techtronics who can confirm if they still
ahve it on the list of recommended lubricants for switches?

Live and learn, eh?

John