Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Shed

On 5/14/17 3:22 PM, Kate wrote:
I am trying to find some answers as it relates to having an 8 x 8
wood shed built in my back yard. When I moved into my home 12 years
ago, I had a hot tub and concrete slab removed. This is where I
would like to install the new shed. The hot tub had a 50 amp 240 volt
dedicated circuit hooked up to this hot tub. I had a qualified
electrician disconnect this circuit, and the fuses are turned off on
the electrical/fuse box. This circuit would need to be turned back
on if someone ever decided to add a hot tub in that spot again. I
also have a key that would need to be used in order to activate that
circuit. The electrician capped off that circuit. My question is:
can I safely hire someone to build a shed over this dead
circuit/conduit? Is it safe? I do know how deep the conduit is
underneath the ground or how deep the shed foundation would have to
be dug into the ground. Unfortunately this electrician has retired. I
am hoping this makes sense and that someone can help. Thank you!
Kate

There are wire locators/fault finders that can locate
underground circuits. The locator should pinpoint the location
and come pretty close on the depth.
Snag's suggestion of bringing the wire into the shed sounds good.
You should be able to find an electrician that has a wire locator.I don't
know if a regular metal detector would do you any good. It might if the
wire is in metal conduit.