Posted to rec.woodworking
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Wood Wax Conundrum?

On 5/14/2017 10:39 AM, Casper wrote:
While taking the MiL out for mother's day this weekend, I ran across a
bee's wax product I have never seen before or tried. Shop owners said
they've used it on everything for years and love it. I stood there
reading the label and found a few oddities.

Label Link:
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...Bees%20Wax.jpg

1. No list of ingredients.
Odd but ok. Maybe it is nothing but bee's wax but I doubt it.

2. Says great on Antiques, Furniture, Oak and more.
But the warning says, "Do Not Use on Wood". Say what?

I read it and then querried the shop owners, who were shocked when
they read the label. Apparently they never read it before. One owner
has been using the stuff for over 25 years.

Never ceases to amaze me what people miss on a daily basis.

So is it just bee's wax or more? Or only legal CYA jargon?

Figured if the owers were still standing after decades of use, can't
be too unsafe. Both owners were pretty antique themselves.

The fact that it says "SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING" is a dead giveaway -- being
a solid, beeswax doesn't need shaking and if you shook beeswax until
doomsday you wouldn't accomplish anything so there has to be some sort of
solvent involved. It would be interesting to sniff the contents to see how
many petroleum distillates you can detect. Even better would be to identify
the maker and demand that they provide an MSDS as they are legally required
to do. Is there any identification as to the actual maker? Full name,
address, anything?