Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Totally OT Drive By!

On Sat, 13 May 2017 17:21:30 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 5/13/2017 4:31 PM, dpb wrote:
On 05/13/2017 11:07 AM, wrote:
You guys are reading something into this that isn't there. Leon is
the kind of guys credit card companies hate. The price match program
isn't
for him, and they resent the fact that he uses it. ...

Not reading into it at all, but am curious why the CC company is doing
the searching; particularly if they "resent him using" the rebate
program. That's just more $$ out of their pocket they didn't need to
lose...

As noted in a further response, they make their fee on every purchase
and most of the ilk of Leon make pretty sizable use of them so that adds
up (not to 20% APR, no, but 3% or so I think is pretty typical; AmEx
raised to now almost 5% was what the building supply manager here told
me was why dropped them.

Let's hear it for the "deadbeats" I am proud to be one. I pay annual
fees on just two credit cards (AMEX and American Airlines Platinum tied
in to my FF account). AMEX is now an affinity card with Starwood Hotels
(and now Marriott) and time share resorts. Between those two cards I
pay off in full ~ $6000/mo. On AMEX I have enough points in Starwood to
spend ~ 60 nights free, plus I get upgrades when available. On the AA
card between purchases and flights I currently have ~ 190K miles or,
roughly, 7 round trip tickets. We fly enough that the free checked
baggage alone puts me $100 ahead of the game at the end of the year.
The priority boarding is also a nice perk.The rest is gravy.

Should they decide this "deadbeat" is no longer worthy of their card,
that's okay. With a FICO hovering around 830, I'm sure I can find
somebody who'll grant me short term credit.

That 2½% to 5% merchant fee they're collecting is not bad considering
it's essentially no risk to them. Those folks, in this economy, who are
carrying $16K or more in credit card debt represent a significant risk
to the card issuer.

Exactly. If they get one or two percent from me, per month, with
essentially zero risk, they should be pretty damn happy.

I just don't understand why anyone, such as yourself, with excellent
credit, would pay for a credit card. There are *so* many good, free,
ones around. I'm sure you have your reasons but I don't get it.