Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Postal Service, Citing Losses, Seeks Higher Stamp Prices

On 05/12/2017 09:46 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
The solution is put the squeeze on Amazon. Amazon's getting a $100 bucks a year from all of their Prime
members for two-day shipping. The USPS needs a bigger piece of the action there, not from the taxpayers.

The USPS has obstacles. I don't know how much of a moneymaker it was but
the USPS worked closely with Netflix to expedite the DVD deliveries. I
happened to catch the woman unloading the driveup mailboxes at the PO
tonight and got out of the car to toss my DVD into her bin. It wasn't
the only red mailer in there.

Then Mom & Pop's Video Rental bitched because they weren't getting
expedited service for their trickle of DVDs. Snail mail neutrality, so
to speak. That ended the expedited service.

Amazon, otoh, can negotiate with UPS although they do use USPS for some
items. Also, while it's difficult to sort out the balance sheet, Amazon
isn't netting a lot of money out of Prime.