Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default what's wrong with our potatoes?

Many years ago, I discovered a gorgeous tomato variety called "SunGold".
It retailed briefly and disappeared from trace. (You can still buy seeds
for it). In it's place we have SunBurst, SunBlush,SunDream all of which
may as well be called "Sun****". I really can't remember the last time I
bought tomatoes *anywhere* in the UK. Even (especially) from "farm
shops". They are universally bland.

I now know why so many European ex-pats in the UK grow their own veg.

And don't get me started about apples......

See above.

Have you noticed that the vast majority of supermarket tomatoes have
*very* thick and tough skins?

I don't see what all the fuss is about, all potatoes and tomatoes taste
fine to me.

Fine, but the rest of us can tell the difference in taste.