Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what's wrong with our potatoes?

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I'm old enough to remember the joy of new potatoes, Jersey Royals,
Cyprus new, or whatever. Now everything tastes of ****, whether it's
from Waitrose or the farmers' market. The only decent tasting spuds are
frozen mash or McCain's Simply Gorgeous chips. I've grown the most
delicious crop in builders buckets outside my back door, so what's so
bloody difficult?
And don't get me started about apples......

Last seasons Jersey Royals were just as tasty as ever, here. But so called
new anything like that if forced is often tasteless. Thinking of out of
season stawberries. Look great but taste of nothing.

"Just as tasty as ever"? Then you've never tasted real Jersey Royals.

They lost their flavour at least 5 years ago - maybe 10 - when seaweed
stopped being used as a fertiliser. There may be some farmers who still
use it, and if so it might be worth looking for these.

Just Google "Jersey Royals" and "seaweed". You'll find numerous pages
and comments from those who miss the flavour that Jersey Royals used to
have.

--

Jeff