Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

On 2017/05/11 1:17 AM, gregz wrote:
Foxs Mercantile wrote:
On 5/3/2017 4:47 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
You are obviously the sort of person who believes in do things
thoroughly, and using the right tool for the job.

I can understand this if your doing it professionally, or if
it's the sort of thing you find you need to quite often - but
are you convinced that the end result is substantially better
than a quick squirt of WD?

As a professional, I don't like things coming back. Period.

As to using WD-40, some time ago, I acquired several 5-tube
table radios at an estate sale. Basically worthless, and with
all the usual age related issues you'd expect. I tried WD-40
on the volume controls. Yes it works (are you paying attention
Phil?)

I just don't feel comfortable using it.

I never had a problem using WD40 on anything, except pots would need more
at some point. Just does not last as a lube.

Greg

Um, why do you think WD-40 is anything but a rust preventative? The rest
is simply marketing hype.

Much like you can lubricate anything with H2O if you want to, but there
are better products DESIGNED for lubrication, etc.

The fact that WD-40 CAN lubricate, doesn't mean it SHOULD. it wasn't
designed for that purpose and so is third or fourth choice at best.

Emergency usage, sure, then clean it off as soon as you can, unles syou
don't want the item to rust. Use it on something that I care about
working reliably, never.

After all - that is why we have brains, so we can think about what we
are doing and apply the best solution.

John :-#(#

(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com