CBHvac

Default Electric water heater

"Bob" wrote in message
I did measure across the 2 input wires at the upper limit switch on the
water heater (it's a 2 wire system) and did read 120v.

Then its wrong.

I am pretty sure the wire is 10 guage but I will verify that.

The elements are 3000 watt and read 20 ohms. By my calculation (it's been
awhile but i think I remember) 240 volts across 20 ohms is just under 3000
watts (2880) and since only one is on at a time.....the math works out.

On the side of the heater it does state 240v but I believe this to be a
maximum applied voltage only.

Wrong. Thats the operational voltage....meaning...you have a 220-240VAC
heater...meaning...you have only one leg to it...

As I said the water is fine once it is heated up but if I do use it

up...it
takes much of the day to get it back....estimate 4 to 5 hours. This

doesn't
happen very often since there are only 2 people living here most of the
time.

Umm...I have one that takes about 15 minutes to recover when all the stored
hot water is used up.....and its a 40 gallon tank...but..its hooked up
correctly....

I am not sure if there would be any reason to hook up 120 vice 240. It

works
obviously other than the recovery time. Any ideas other than installation
error? It was installed 2 years before we moved in, which was 2 years ago.

Its not really working...
Its barely working.

So to recap, If I do revert to 240v the wire size must be 10 guage and

there
must be 30 amp fuses?

Thanks for all the help and the quick replies.It's piquing my curiosity

more
than anything.

Bob

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
. net...
Read the other responses to your question as they provide some good

insight.

If you have 120 volts powering 240 volt elements, it must take several

hours
for you to get warm water. There is a lot of resistance in those

elements
and hot water seems unlikely at 120 volts.

"Bob" wrote in message
I have an electric water heater (40 Gallon) that is hooked to 120V.

240V
is
run to a shut off switch (fused) just above the heater (3 feet away)

but
for
some reason the installer ran 120 to the heater (black and white

wires,
the
red is disconnected, and yes I can measure voltage). The main fuse

panel
has
2, 15 amp fuses for the circuit.

I was thinking of changing the water heater to 240v for the purpose of
quicker recovery time. Is there a reason the person used only 120V? If

did
this what would the fuse size in the panel need to be?