Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Bonus! how to determine volume of hidden vessel

On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 4:02:06 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 9:29:09 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message
So, I got to thinking that there might be a better place than AGL,
Praxair or Aigas to get the nitrogen or Argon. A couple of minutes
with google turned up a welding supply / gas supply about a mile
from
my house. They will rent a 330cf cylinder for $4.00 per month and
fill
it with nitrogen for $29 or argon for $65.

This is way cheaper than I would expect to pay at any of the big
shops, and couldn't be much more convenient. A huge bonus.

==========
Once it holds a vacuum I'd make a rough estimate of the volume with
dried compressed air, then a better one by evacuating it and
filling
from a nitrogen tank nearest the estimated cf capacity. The
(absolute)
pressure drop in the cylinder and the rise in the piping give you
the
volume ratio. The more the gauges change, the better the
resolution.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyle%27s_Law

-jsw

That's a good one, but it requires that you know the actual cf in
the tank first. I have no idea how accurately that gets measured
when tanks are filled.

You can look up the cylinder volume and measure the pressure.

I don't have anything to measure that kind of pressure with any significant accuracy or precision. My highest range transducer tops out at 500psi.