Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Charging 12v battery from 12v cigar lighter socket?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But then there were the new plugs, plug leads, points, rotor arm, dizzy
cap etc at regular intervals - and checking the ignition timing too. Then
antifreeze each winter and replacing a few hoses too. To say nothing about
5000 mile oil changes. And then the new engine at perhaps 50,000 miles...

Memories of my first car, a VW Beetle, come flooding back.

I picked this up at trade. It had been imported from South
Africa, and was a bit behind the European model changes. IIRC
the greasing interval was 1500 miles. It was OK as a first car,
but not after driving anything else. Motorway trips in a cross
wind were very interesting, as the steering, even with new king
pins, was incredibly soggy.

A fun job was changing the spark plugs - on the 1500 engine
you needed a plug spanner that would take the tommy bar at 45
degrees.

Then there was the heater designed so that, if it was going to
stick, it would do so fully on.

My only success was once getting an exhaust fitted free - they
took all day and had to change a stud.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK