Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Orangeburg pressurized water pipe

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 6:24:38 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Wed, 10
May 2017 15:52:47 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 11:44:35 AM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
On 5/10/2017 11:32 AM, Mr.E wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2017 12:14:02 GMT, Joe Kauffman
m wrote:

I own a 40 year old home in AZ that has an Orangeburg pipe
teed off the mainline to a faucet. The pipe is leaking under
the driveway but I've managed to dig it up and exposed about 3
feet. I'm trying to figure out the best way to cap the line,
I'll worry about supply to the faucet later.

If it only feeds a faucet, you may be able to slide 1/2 or 3/8
pex inside the existing pipe.

Agreed. If it's a single line, you can cut each side of the leak
and put a pex connection on it. Otherwise, three feet is also
enough room to cut out the leak and solder a new pipe in place.

How does one put a PEX connection on orangeburg pipe? Soldering
it must be even more interesting.

Now, that's something i'd like to see myself. I wonder how badly
the heat for soldering would alter the diameter of the pipe end?

Oh...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene

Thermal properties

The usefulness of polyethylene is limited by its melting point of 80
°C (176 °F) (HDPE, types of low crystalline softens earlier). For
common commercial grades of medium- and high-density polyethylene the
melting point is typically in the range 120 to 180 °C (248 to 356 °
F). The melting point for average, commercial, low-density
polyethylene is typically 105 to 115 °C (221 to 239 °F). These
temperatures vary strongly with the type of polyethylene.

Doesn't seem like it would hold up well at all to soldering with a
propane torch...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane_torch

Oxygen-fed torches use the high pressure of the stored oxygen to push
the oxygen into a common tube with the fuel. An air-only torch will
burn at around 1,995 °C (3,623 °F), less if heat loss to the
surroundings is taken into account. Oxygen-fed torches can be much
hotter at up to 2,820 °C (5,110 °F), depending on the fuel-oxygen
ratio. These are the theoretical maximum temperatures, in reality
they will always be less due to incomplete combustion, heat loss etc.

Yea, it's probably not going to like the soldering process.

Plus what he has is not orangeburg pipe as the term is commonly used.
It's poly pipe that happens to be made by a company called orangeburg,
probably the same company that made what is called orangeburg pipe.