Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Windows 10 updates on 'unsupported' hardware

philo news May 2017 16:03:33 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/09/2017 05:46 AM, Diesel wrote:
philo news May 2017 01:30:27 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/08/2017 07:43 PM, Diesel wrote:
ph
Agreed. They want to hold your hand far too much for my
tastes. I really can't stand something that wants to do
everything for me, and won't let me explore the control
systems because it thinks I might do something wrong.

Someone gave an an ancient macbook. It was not working and
they just wanted me to recover their data.

Normally removing a HD from a laptop is a two minute job. In
this case I basically had to destroy it to take it apart. Had
I wanted to re-assemble it I would have had to have been
painstakingly careful and it would have taken an hour or more.

I suspect your hands on experience with laptops is that of a
hobbyist or end user as well, then. It's not uncommon these
days to find the laptop requires a teardown to gain access to
the hard drive. It's a shame. I suspect it's because they
don't want you repairing it, they want you to replace it; the
laptop, not the HD.

Obviously you have never worked on the old PPC macbooks.

You really should have learned by now to quit making assumptions
about what I have/haven't worked on. I find your erroneous
comments to be very amusing, but, alas, this seems to be rather
typical of you. You've repaired machines as a hobby for the most
part,

You are the one making assumptions here.

I've made no assumptions concerning you.

I told you I had my own business repairing computers .
Because it was my secondary occupation does not mean I did it as a
hobby.

Did you run it out of your house? Did you have the proper business
license, insurance, etc? You already stated that you had on occasion
three machines on your work bench. That's NOTHING by comparison to
myself.

I stand by what I said, on any PC laptop or any Intel Mac laptop
removing a hard drive is a two minute job.

I disagree. A Dell Inspiron N4010 laptop is not a two minute job to
get access to the hard disk, let alone replace it. It requires a
teardown as well as the careful removal of the mainboard to access
the SATA interface hard disk. As the hard disk is located on the
bottom of the mainboard. You'll also have to tear it down to locate
the CMOS battery. Looking at the top of the laptop, it's to the upper
right about an inch behind the card reader interface.

You can't access it by removing the keyboard. You will have to
seperate the chassis. Which also if memory serves (it's in pieces now
and I took it apart a year or two ago) also requires seperating the
flatpanel from the base.

OTH, you can access the ram modules by removing a small cover on the
bottom of the system, without having to tear it down. But, you won't
be removing the hard disk via a small cover.

Go ahead, google the make/model. I've got one sitting beside me
that I tore down to recover the hard disk for another machine, as the
mainboard itself is bad.

Stand tall, Philo, be proud in knowing you're WRONG.

And, that's just ONE make/model PC based laptop that requires a
teardown and mainboard removal to gain access to the hard disk. You
won't be doing it in two minutes. There's a lot more than this
particular model that require a tear down and mainboard removal to
gain access to the hard disk. You won't be doing this in two minutes.
It's not a two minute job. I just happened to have this one handy, in
my parts bin. ROFL. The panel is good, the keyboard is good, the
touchpad is good, the hd is good (it's running fine in another brand
laptop), the ram modules are good. It still has the cmos battery on
the board, though. I just can't be arsed to remove it, as I don't
presently need it for anything.

On those old macbooks the entire dang thing has to be
dis-assembled.

See above. They are NOT the only ones that require a full disassembly
to gain access to the hard disk. Not even close.

Another one is a tower type G5. Takes all day to replace a mobo
on one of those. On a PC it's a 15 minute job.

That depends on the PC, too. If you swap out boards using a different
chipset, you will have to manually edit a specific registry hive file
to ensure a BSOD doesn't occur when you try to start the machine on
the new board. That's one of the joys of PnP based operating systems.

OTH, if you have an identical board (or very close match component
wise, same chipset, atleast) depending on the case and additional
cards, sure, it's possible to pull the old board and drop a new one
in in fifteen minutes or so. Getting the OS back up and going might
take longer though, since you most likely didn't put the cards back
into the same PCI/PCIe slots as you found them. And, that is
important. They are numbered for a reason, after all.

I stand by what I wrote, initially and have since repeated several
times. You do NOT have anywhere near the IT experience as myself.