Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default how to determine volume of hidden vessel

rangerssuck wrote:

I would like nothing more than a shiny new machine, but it aint happening.
The entire load of RS-45 refrigerant is about $40,000 $9.50/lb.
Compressor seals are the most expensive parts (York doesn't embarrass
easily), but total parts cost will be under $8,000 to put the whole thing
back in "pretty good" shape. Compare that to a 30 ton chiller, evaporator,
pumps, 55,000 feet of pipe, 420 yards of concrete, etc, etc. I wish.

What I was thinking, without knowing whether it would work, was to use the
EXISTING pipe in the floor for a glycol system. Now, maybe the pipes are
just too long for the glycol to flow through, but with 55,000 feet of pipe,
it seems there is PLENTY of surface to absorb heat. But, maybe the glycol
would need a lot of short pipes between manifolds, and the Freon system has
fewer, very LONG pipes, as it is absorbing heat by evaporation.

But, yes, the ONLY way it would make sense is if the existing pipe in the
floor could be used as is.

And, you can likely find a used but good 30 ton water-water chiller quite
easily on the used market. I'd start at HGR surplus. When you are talking
about $40K of refrigerant plus expensive repairs to a belt-driven compressor
which is certain to start leaking again sometime, it seems like a good idea
to look at alternatives. 30 tons is just NOT a great big chiller.

Jon