Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Windows 10 updates on 'unsupported' hardware

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 6:50:19 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
philo news 2017 01:30:27 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/08/2017 07:43 PM, Diesel wrote:
ph
Agreed. They want to hold your hand far too much for my tastes.
I really can't stand something that wants to do everything for
me, and won't let me explore the control systems because it
thinks I might do something wrong.

Someone gave an an ancient macbook. It was not working and they
just wanted me to recover their data.

Normally removing a HD from a laptop is a two minute job. In
this case I basically had to destroy it to take it apart. Had I
wanted to re-assemble it I would have had to have been
painstakingly careful and it would have taken an hour or more.

I suspect your hands on experience with laptops is that of a
hobbyist or end user as well, then. It's not uncommon these days
to find the laptop requires a teardown to gain access to the hard
drive. It's a shame. I suspect it's because they don't want
you repairing it, they want you to replace it; the laptop, not
the HD.

Obviously you have never worked on the old PPC macbooks.

You really should have learned by now to quit making assumptions
about what I have/haven't worked on. I find your erroneous comments
to be very amusing, but, alas, this seems to be rather typical of
you. You've repaired machines as a hobby for the most part, I've been
doing it professionally for a bit longer than seventeen years. To
have three machines on a bench would be a blessing. It would be a
slow day. I'd have time to do other stuff that needed to be done.

I don't know if it's because I remind you how different we actually
are in terms of service work history, or, because BD propped you up
on a pedestal and I've smashed it. Hard to know for sure. He led me
to believe that you were my equal, if not outright exceeding my
knowledge and expertise. I've discovered from chatting with you,
that's simply, not the case. I've got certs older than your 'career'
in IT, as well as copyrighted software written by myself, entirely
from scratch. Ah well. For that matter, I've got virus families older
than your seventeen years in IT. heh...Not that I'm proud of that
aspect of my own career, but, it is what it is.

I see you've made another friend in the newsgroup.