Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default New gas water heater questions

On 5/8/2017 9:20 PM, John Albert wrote:
Hello all -

My gas water heater failed today, livin' on cold water until I get it
replaced.

Current unit is an A.O. Smith 40 gallon, installed June 1999. Just shy
of 18 years old, so I guess I got my money's worth from this one.

I'll like to go for a 50 gallon unit this time if it will fit.

Sounds like a lot of "ifs" for the extra 10 gallons. We've never had a
problem with 4 people and a 40 gallon tank. Do you have hot water
shortages?

Questions:
I don't mind paying a little more for the 10-year warranty, IF you're
actually getting something for it.
Is the extra money worth it?
Or -- are you getting the same unit (no physical differences), but just
"paying up front" for the additional warranty period?

Don't know for sure, but that seems to be the case.