Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default How do I cut the ends on these fence rails?

wrote in message

Now, my question is, I need to cut several of these - how to? I've
tried a chainsaw and it is not very good at making tapered rip cuts.
I've also tried: scrub plane, handsaw, circular saw, recipro saw.
Mostly I'm making long hacked up toothpicks - Ha! Remember that not
only do they have to be tapered, but the tenons have to be in the same
plane as each other from end to end, in order for the rail to fit
correctly. Also, the rails are not always straight & mostly aren't.
Wit's end here!

When it comes down to brass tacks the hatchet wins out. I tried every
power tool you could think of and the
hatchet is the tool that wins hands-down. It's work. But it's good work.

I'd be inclined to use a rip hand saw... but a sharp hatchet or axe would
work also. In either case the skill of the user will influence the results.