Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Windows 10 updates on 'unsupported' hardware

philo news May 2017 13:56:25 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/08/2017 04:29 AM, Diesel wrote:

I tried everything I could think of, I did find a hacked version
of OSX that would run on a PC but it was not fully functional.

I might have to look into this more, at some point, mebbe.

If I made any changes to the system, it would no longer boot.
IIRC: something critical such as USB was lacking

What did you do prior to USB?

Agreed. They want to hold your hand far too much for my tastes.
I really can't stand something that wants to do everything for
me, and won't let me explore the control systems because it
thinks I might do something wrong.

Someone gave an an ancient macbook. It was not working and they
just wanted me to recover their data.

Normally removing a HD from a laptop is a two minute job. In this
case I basically had to destroy it to take it apart. Had I wanted
to re-assemble it I would have had to have been painstakingly
careful and it would have taken an hour or more.

I suspect your hands on experience with laptops is that of a hobbyist
or end user as well, then. It's not uncommon these days to find the
laptop requires a teardown to gain access to the hard drive.
It's a shame. I suspect it's because they don't want you repairing
it, they want you to replace it; the laptop, not the HD.

When recommending one for a client, I try to factor that into my
recommendation whenever possible. For future repairs, upgrades, etc.

[snip]

Thus fas nothing has been damaged and I have no reason to use XP
anymore other than to support one ancient slide scanner that I
never use anyway.

I like your attitude. it reminds me of some service calls where by
the time they called me, it was a bit more than changing out a
breaker or running a new feed. I made a ****load more money than I
otherwise would have.

Same with many IT service calls. They'd wait until the system didn't
boot at all. Heh. Not that I'm complaining mind you, I'm used to
people making my job a little harder and/or more interesting. I just
bill accordingly.

My wife told me she would accept Win10 as long as her Wacom
fully functions. I will put her Wacom on another Win10 machine
and see if it meets her approval.

Do either of you fully understand that your local files aren't
really yours anymore if you do? MS can retain copies, at will.
And, you're agreeing to it if you elect to run Windows 10.

You mean our own personal data?

That would be stealing

You might want to re-read the agreement that you accepted when you
loaded Windows 10. And, no, it wouldn't be stealing, either. As, that
deprives you of the material; since you no longer have it. At best,
you're looking at copyright infringement, if the material is infact,
copyrighted.