Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disc Brakes

In article ,
NY wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
NY wrote:
The biggest problem is if the pads wear down to the rivets that
fasten them to the backing plates, because the rivets can there score
the discs, which when new discs are usually necessary even if the old
discs still have plenty of thickness. I've only had that happen once
on a car: I was going down a long steep hill and suddenly there was a
grinding noise. I wasn't aware of any loss of braking force,
presumably because the other brakes took more braking force if the
worn one stopped braking as effectively.

I've never ever seen a disc pad with the lining riveted. Even in the
1960s.

Ok, well whatever was worn caused the pads to score the discs when they
were applied. I assumed that rivets were revealed when the lining wore
down, but evidently I'm wrong with how the scoring was caused.

Discs get scored by road grit, etc. Doesn't effect their performance.

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.