Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Solar Roof

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 10:30:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:

On 2017-05-07, Seymore4Head wrote:
That Musk guy makes them sound very appealing.

Musk is a rent-seeking huckster. Without the carbon credit scam his
company would have folded up a long time ago.

What's Trump's agenda gonna do to that?
And what happens to all the existing solar installations
precariously supported by credits?

Most of the credits are already paid out. They were for the
installation but new installations could suffer if Trump dumps the
credits. I know that the thing that stopped my solar plans was when
the Florida grant program ran dry. I still use solar pool heat but
solar PV is still too expensive to make much sense financially. I will
be dead before it pays for itself, assuming nothing breaks. One
hurricane could push that out to my kid's death.

I guess it depends on what credits you're counting. Some of them
have expired, like some or all of the federal tax credit for installation.
But AFAIK, utilities are still under constraint to buy an increasing
share of their electric from clean, green, sources. Here in NJ, they
are mandated to do that and one form is to buy electricity from those
residential solar panels. Something obviously makes them practical
here, I see new ones going up all the time. IDK what people are getting
now, but the requirement that the utilities buy green was giving people
with solar panels thousands a year. I think that has tapered down
somewhat now, but it's still a substantial subsidy.