frank1492

Default Problem with Curling Cedar Shakes (Side Shingles)

I am in the process of reshingling my house on Cape Cod. Until
this year I have used Maibec white cedar "Nantucket" R&R extras.
As my dealer tells me they can no longer get these shingles, I have
switched to Waska. For a novice, these seemed much easier because
they were in general much wider.
After having done about a 20X4 foot area, I have noticed that
many of the shingles have started to curl. They have been in place
for no more than two weeks. I have tried to follow the following
rules:
2 nails per shingle.
Nails in about 3/4 inch from sides.
Nails about 6 1/2 from butt. (The exposure is about 5 1/4 and
I add 1 1/4 to this.)
These were the rules supplied by Maibec which I assume are the
same for all cedar brands.
While I have not measured the above distances to the
millemeter, I have tried to use reasonable care. In any event, I have
been equally precise (or imprecise) with the Maibec. Some of these
have been on for over three years and the degree of warpage has been a
fraction of what I am seeing with the Waskas after two weeks!
What is going on? I am reluctant to blame the Waskas, because
I can't imagine they're at fault, but I have stopped my work until I
get to the bottom of this.
Your help is very much appreciated. A couple of additional
questions:
(1) Other than taking all the shakes off and starting over, is
there anything I can do to reverse the curling, or at least keep it
from getting worse?
(2) What is the best brand of shingle?
I don't expect to redo these shingles again in my lifetime and
so you can see why I am concerned.
BTW, I used Tyvek, kept the shingles dry, and never tried to
work in the rain or with wet surfaces
Thank you!
Frank