Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Disc Brakes

On 08/05/2017 15:07, NY wrote:

ABS does the cadence braking for you (that's what the rapid pulsing is
in the pedal). I've only had to use it in anger once: when a child ran
out into the road and I instinctively hit the brake and steered hard
right, managing to steer left again before hitting the opposite kerb.
The child's mother gave me an earful until the driver of the car behind
me pointed out that I had been driving at 20 in a 30 limit because I'd
judged that there might be a hazard, and that I'd started to brake when
the football rolled out from behind the gatepost a couple of seconds
before the child had even appeared, and I'd managed to avoid the child
who was on the pavement at the time I came to rest by the opposite kerb.
I think her anger might have been influenced by the fact that the car
two behind me had collided with the one behind me because *he* was
driving too close.

That road must have been very slippy to take over two seconds to stop
from 20mph.

A car that just about passed the MOT should take a maximum of about 1.7
seconds.

It would travel about 25 feet so it was a narrow road too.

A modern car would do it in less than a second and travel less than 15 feet.