Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Charging 12v battery from 12v cigar lighter socket?

I am getting to the point where it seems a cunning plan isn't.

We have a caravan with a leisure battery.

We also have a spare leisure battery which gives us the option to carry it
for extra capacity and possibly use it with an inverter to power some low
demand 240v devices.

It is a few years old and doesn't match the new one in the caravan so just
linking the two together may not be the best option.

I thought I might be able to trickle charge it from a 12v socket in the
car for the times when we will not have an Electrical Hook Up (EHU)
available over night.

However, although there are DC-DC chargers these seem to start around £70
which is not far off the price of just buying another leisure battery and
fitting it to the caravan.

Does anyone know of a cheap but effective DC-DC charger?

To make it easy to use it needs to work off a cigar lighter socket; I know
I would probably get far superior charging by fitting a charge controller
to the output of the car alternator to feed the battery but this looks to
be in the £200+ price range.

Just looking for a cheap and simple way to use the spare battery without
any major electrical surgery to the car or caravan.

Cheers

Dave R

---