Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Just imagine... a BUILDING, made of WOOD!!

Steve writes:
On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 10:28:37 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Steve
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 10:08:29 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

=20
With a foundation, first floor slab and 7 story core made of concrete, is=
it proper to=20
call it a "timber building"? Does it really deserve to be called the larg=
est timber building
in NA if such major parts of the building are concrete?
=20
I'm sure it's a cool building, but...

that's absolutely a fair question, let's have at it: =20

If I place concrete on site, whether foundation or slab, drop a sillplate=
on it and start framing vertically with SPF, we still call it a wood hous=
e, don't we?=20

A core is not a genuine structural element-- it HAS Structural elements, an=
d the timber is certainly tied into it, but it's not treated as a structura=
l element. The point of a core is to contain MEP systems, move people, etc,=
not to 'hold up the building.' =20

In most tall buildings, the core is specifically to "hold up the building".

OK, that's contrary to my understanding, so thanks--- How does it do so?

I had recalled reading that somewhere, but after doing some research,
it appears that the exterior diagonalized tube is is the structural
system in most common use for tall buildings.

What I had earlier read was that some buildings have a concrete
structural core, and the floors are cantilevered from the core.