Ed Sirett

Default Are room thermostats out of fashion?

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:07:21 +0000, IMM wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:53:59 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

Of course if light bulbs were heavily taxed, there would become
a black market in them......

Tax them at source. Then people can ship in loads from France, except,

of
course, they are for 220V and will blow twice as often.

On the other hand, would people bother, particularly as the hassle of
importing them illegally just isn't worth it, as the alternative is

cheaper
overall than what they're used to.

Perhaps the government would then introduce colour temperature
detector vans.

Another technological solution (easily bypassed, of course) to the silly
fittings rule in Part L1, is to introduce a pendent fitting that only

allows
25W to be drawn. Any more and it should flash the light. i.e. stick a

100W
light bulb in and it has 1 second on and 3 seconds off. BTW, I'm not
actually serious here, except maybe if I renting out a house and wanted

stop the tenant flogging the bulbs.

In most short hold rental flats the replacement of light bulbs would
normally be the responsibility of the tenant. If the tenant left with the
bulbs their cost would coem from the deposit.

Most don't pay the last month or twos rent and leave no deposit to be paid
back, and generally owing rent.

This is simply not the case in my experience. Bad tenants do exist just
like other kinds of bad people, they are a small minority especially where
accomodation of any kind is at a premium.

Most tenancy agreements explicitly state that using the deposit to pay the
last month's rent is forbidden and people abide by that agreement.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk