Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Need a new trailer floor

On 5/7/2017 10:58 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 07 May 2017 22:48:47 -0700, mike wrote:

I have a 4x8' tilt-bed trailer.
The floor is rotted out.
What should I use to replace it?
Has a metal rail down the center to
support the motorcycle, so that's not an issue.
I'd also like to be able to haul some barkdust
or river rock, etc.

It's stored outside in the rain, so I thought
I needed 3/4" marine plywood.
But it appears that ordinary outdoor CDX has the same
glue??? And both would need to be painted.

Local bigbox store has some pressure treated plywood.
I don't know how to describe it, but on edge it looks like
it's already delaminating. And I read that it's caustic
to the metal in the trailer.
Any experience/recommendations on whether to use that stuff?

What's the best bang for the buck in trailer flooring for outside
storage?

Oak planks. White oak if possible.

There's not a lot of support under it. Side to side, there's
one main support at the axle plus the front/back ends.
Front to back there are three 1" angle iron supports in addition
to the perimeter frame. The motorcycle support channel
doesn't depend on the floor for support.

I dismissed the idea
of narrow boards. Making them strong enough would seriously
increase the weight.
Best reasonably priced would be sheathing grade plywood, saturated
with Linseed oil or some other oil that won't go rancid.

Is sheathing grade plywood different from CDX?
More words on linseed oil please.
I'd never considered that.
I'm gonna be standing on it balancing a motorcycle
until I get it tied down. A slip of the foot could be disasterous.