Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default *BANG!* Done it again!

On Sun, 7 May 2017 22:37:43 +0100, MJC
wrote:

In article ,
says...

The color of the smoke would be helpful.
Black is carbon comp or oil, white is plastic wire insulation, gray is
phenolic, brown is epoxy or a dead mouse or insect infestation. There
are smells associated with each one that is recognizable.

Sounds very Catholic to this atheist! Maybe time to ask the pope?
Mike.

I'm Jewish and asking the pope for advice would rather improper.

I've tried faith healing of various broken machines in the past.
Sometimes, I get lucky, but mostly, it doesn't work. I get better
results with burnt offerings and animal sacrifice.

The chemicals used to produce the traditional black and white smoke
announcing the election of a new pope is a closely guarded secret.
www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/world/europe/recipe-for-conclaves-black-and-white-smoke-remains-mystery.html
I'm fairly sure that a dead mouse is not one of the ingredients.

Please note that the colors I mentioned do not apply to continued and
very hot combustion as in a structure fire, where the color of the
smoke changes as the fire progresses:
http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/print/volume-158/issue-9/features/the-art-of-reading-smoke.html

--
Jeff Liebermann