Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default What is this mains connector for?

wrote in message
On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 2:53:44 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 3:12:51 AM UTC-4, wrote:

That must be one of the 2 most popular connectors on the planet. There
are probably billions in Europe.

NT

And here across the pond as well. I've got a few dozen of these with
filtering cans on the back side culled from plasma parts before
recycling.

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...htm#1134192873

They're great for adding to older equipment. Clean simple way of
adding a
ground, easily replaceable cord, and the filtering doesn't hurt either.

Sometimes you can get them with built in fuse holder too.

You can get the basic connector, but the filtered ones aren't rare - a
nice
touch if there's room for the filter block.

Yep, and still others have an AC switch on them..

The only place I ever saw the filtered ones were on older plasmas, which
is why I saved a bunch of these when recycling the hosts.. These were
big, heavy, power pigs that drew a lot of current. I believe most of
filter assys were good for 20 amps.

Used to be every PC PSU - but been a while since I've seen one there.