Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Antenna rotator question

On Sun, 7 May 2017 03:48:18 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote: "
The US congress critters tweaked the beginning and end of DST in order
to somehow save energy in 2007. Many devices didn't clean up their
DST act for many years after that. "

Most of Congress probably believes
Daylight Saving adds daylight! Remmber:
they don't read what they pass.

Maybe, but most voters also don't read the various initiatives and
referendums on which they vote. Worse, few voters could recite the
names of their local government representatives, as well as whom and
what they represent and advocate. It's the blind leading the blind.

So, why does representative government still work? Because elected
representatives have staff to read through the various measures and
deal with the constituency. Afterwards, they provide a very
simplified summary for the representative to read and digest.

DST actually increases overall energy
consumption, but lazy people like it
because it delays sunrise and they can
stay up later and sleep in.

There have been various research projects, few of which seem to be
objective and unbiased. One of the more comical that I read was a
survey of families paid to change their clocks according to the old
DST system, and then comparing energy consumption only in the
approximately two months that were involved in the change. If I find
a link, I'll post it. The results were almost random, but that was
apparently fixed by carefully cherry picking the data from those who
most closely followed the test guidelines. Some tests and surveys:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time#Energy_use
I think this might be it:
"The United States Department of Energy (DOE) concluded in
a 2008 report that the 2007 United States extension of DST
saved 0.5% of electricity usage during the extended period.
[90] This report analyzed only the extension, not the full
eight months of DST, and did not examine the use of heating
fuels."

Perhaps we can escape the horrors of DST by getting away from the
rigid 8 hr work day, and replacing it with a 6 hr winter work day, and
a 12 hr summer work day, when there are more hours of sunlight.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558