Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Flipping over turf

On Sun, 07 May 2017 00:57:15 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 06 May 2017 22:51:49 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Sat, 06 May 2017 00:38:07 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Wed, 03 May 2017 02:12:03 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Wed, 03 May 2017 00:37:09 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 20:20:13 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 06:06:39 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 13:50:57 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 18/04/2017 23:42, newshound wrote:
On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that
grass
likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they
eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the
bottom,
which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than
broad-leaf
plants,
which grow from the top.

That doesn't mean grass *likes* being cut.

--
Max Demian

Grass evolved to be cut by grazing animals.
So mowing is normal.

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized
instead.

Pigs arse it does. The park next to my place has NEVER been
fertilized
in
50
years.

Neither has my grass and mine isnt even mowed.

Indeed - mainly plants just need water and CO2.

Yep, my trees have never had anything else.

The biggest ones are immense now.

Hydroponics or something only uses water and CO2 I believe.

Nope, they add fertilizer to the water.

Yet your trees are ok.

Sure, but a hydroponics operation normally wants to be
more productive and adding fertilizer improves productivity.

Same with ag operations.

Apparently if a plant has enough nitrogen, adding fertiliser does
nothing
at all.

Its much more complicated than that and
it isnt just nitrogen in the fertiliser anyway.

Well I added fertiliser (double the recommended dose) to some house
plants
that weren't doing very well (spider plants a cat sat on and a cactus
that
was shrivelling up) and they didn't grow faster or become healthier.

Because the problem wasn't a lack of fertiliser,
the problem was that the cat sat on it.

But the solution is fast growth.

Not possible once the cat has sat on it.

Spider plants are pretty resilient, getting squashed doesn't kill it. I obviously moved it to a windowledge where the cat doesn't go.

I've bought parts from hydroponics suppliers for other uses.

Yeah, growing the MJ crop.

Actually a cooling system for bitcoin machines.

Corse you would say that...

MJ doesn't need such things.

It does grow well with hydroponics.

What's the advantage of hydroponics over soil?

Easier to completely automate. Plants don't actually
need soil, just something to put the roots into so they
don't fall over etc. We used rockwool or scoria or even
nothing at all with some plants like tomatoes that are
staked for other reasons.

Why does soil stop automation?

It doesn't, but it's a lot easier to automate with hydroponics.

Why?

--
I spent a couple of hours defrosting the fridge last night, or "foreplay" as she likes to call it.