Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Build my own power station

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Does no one remember the calor totem from the 80s. It supplied the
electricity needs of three households but the achilles heel was engine
life was only about a year, 1100cc FIAT I think.

Cars (of that type) are only designed for 3000 hours use.
That gets you to roughly 100,000 miles at an average 30MPH.

There's a very big difference between normal start stop driving and
running at constant load, on an engine's life.

If it really were designed for a 3000 hour life with normal use, I'd
expect many times that with a generator. Presumably with the engine
running at somewhere near maximum torque, so therefore efficiency.

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.