Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Flipping over turf

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 06 May 2017 02:55:46 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 04 May 2017 22:22:51 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Mon, 01 May 2017 21:28:04 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 22:00:29 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 05:59:48 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Thursday, 20 April 2017 12:05:53 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 20/04/2017 09:00, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 13:50:57 UTC+1, Max Demian
wrote:
On 18/04/2017 23:42, newshound wrote:
On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that
grass
likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they
eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the
bottom,
which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than
broad-leaf
plants,
which grow from the top.

That doesn't mean grass *likes* being cut.

Grass evolved to be cut by grazing animals.

It evolved to tolerate grazing.

So mowing is normal.

Well, "natural", as in similar to the natural state.

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized
instead.

Because it loses leaf matter to the mower.

Exactly. if you don't fertiize, all you get growing is deep
rooted
weeds.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

The park next to my house has NEVER been fertilised in the
50 years its been there. Its mowed every couple of weeks or
so in the summer and less often in the winter with a ****ing
great tractor mounted mower that is about twice the size
of my car with the cuttings left where they fall.

It is normal grass, nothing even remotely like deep rooted weeds.

My backyard has kikuyu that is about a foot deep and it has never
ever been fertilized in 50 years either and there are sweet ****
all
deep rooted weeds there either.

I presume harry as referring to grass which is mown and the
cuttings
taken
away, making the ground more suitable for weeds than grass.

He'd be wrong about that too. Even when the cuttings
are removed, you still don't need to fertilise it.

Mind you, I mow my lawn and leave the cuttings on it, and it's
full
of
weeds. It's probably more to do with sunlight, water, and
surrounding
trees taking nutrients away.

Nope. You don't mow it enough. Mow it enough and the weeds don't
last
long.
They cant survive having their heads chopped off. Grass doesn't
care.

My back lawn has trees dotted around it. The grass won't grow AT
ALL
under the trees, but weeds do.

The park next to my house has quite a few trees and grass growing
right
up
to the trunk of all of them.

You've got feeble old world genetically ****ed grass.

More likely **** weather.

Kikuyu will grow fine there.

Then why doesn't it?

You lot prefer a less coarse grass.

Is it soft enough to walk on in bare feet?

Yes, but then so is bare dirt and concrete. Plenty prefer a less coarse
grass.