Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Build my own power station

On 5/6/2017 12:36 PM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
harry writes:
On Friday, 5 May 2017 19:42:43 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
I was watching the early development of electricity generation and
houses had their own coal fired generators before power distribution
became widespread.

Now is the time of year my fuel contracts come up for renewal; I can
get gas at less that 3p/kwH but my electricity supplier (soon not to
be) has upped their rate to nearly 14p/kwH which had me wondering
about the economics of using the cheaper gas to generate my
electricity.

ok, a bit t-i-c but it'd be fun having my own steam generator
(modified boiler?), turbine and generator. I recall a viable jet
engine (intended for VTOL some 45yrs ago) that could be picked up by
one person so a turbine needn't be too big.
--
AnthonyL

All been thought of years ago.
You can buy one, a box that generates electricity and heat using gas.

http://www.micro-chp.org.uk/domestic-chp/

Not currently offering any products.
That's been the state of this field for last 15 years.

If you go to any of the trade shows, you will find lots of
combined heat and power units. However, they can't be made
small enough (in power output) and efficient enough for
domestic use. Over the last 15 years, products have appeared
on the market briefly, but rarely got past beta phase.

That was my belief, glad to see it confirmed!