Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best way to clean gas tank while in tractor?

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 16:39:54 -0700 (PDT), Garrett Fulton
wrote:

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 11:50:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:
More 9N stuff. The gas tank has crud in it. I don't know how much but
there is enough to mostly clog the outlet. The old fuel in the tank
just dribbles out. After I get the clog removed and the tank drained
I'm thinking about using a pressure washer to clean the tank insides.
While the tank is in the tractor. I have a 90 degree fitting for my
pressure wand that would allow getting all the insides washed down.
Suggestions? Opinions?
Thanks,
Eric

Eric, I believe you're wasting your time with the pressure washer. Tried that with my '67 MF 135 and the fuel bowl/filter was plugging again in a couple months with rust. Took the tank to a radiator shop locally that soaked in a hot caustic tank, cleaned it, and sealed the inside. No worries for several years now. If the caustic treatment opens up a hole, you needed a new tank anyhow. Just my .02.

Garrett

^5 !!

---