Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve[_79_] Steve[_79_] is offline

Default Just imagine... a BUILDING, made of WOOD!!

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 10:08:29 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

With a foundation, first floor slab and 7 story core made of concrete, is it proper to
call it a "timber building"? Does it really deserve to be called the largest timber building
in NA if such major parts of the building are concrete?

I'm sure it's a cool building, but...

that's absolutely a fair question, let's have at it:

If I place concrete on site, whether foundation or slab, drop a sillplate on it and start framing vertically with SPF, we still call it a wood house, don't we?

A core is not a genuine structural element-- it HAS Structural elements, and the timber is certainly tied into it, but it's not treated as a structural element. The point of a core is to contain MEP systems, move people, etc, not to 'hold up the building.'

I'd say it's a timber building.